Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe 6535 not detected

In a server running with an Intel S5520SC system board running Windows 2008, we ran into a problem where the moving of a PCIe-6535 from a PCI Express x16 slot to a x1 slot would lead to the card not being detected in Windows device manager nor NI software.  Original config: 2 x PCIe-6535 cards occupying both PCI Express x16 slots on the system board. But we needed a PCI-Express video card, so we had to move one of the Nidaq cards to the x1 slot.  Before the move, both cards were detected and worked fine.  Regardless which card is moved, the one in the x1 is not detected.  What makes this more strange: We have 5 systems with the same hardware setup.  3 out of 5 are working fine.  Just 2 out of 5 have Nidaq card not detected in x1 slot.  Any suggestions on how to get Windows and the NI software to detect the Nidaq card?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(4,295 Views)

Hello,

This does sound strange, since 3 systems are up and running while 2 systems experience this issue.  My first instinct is to make sure the cards are seated properly on the motherboard.  Is there any difference in the board revision numbers on either the PCIe-6535's or motherboards?  Are all the systems running the same driver versions?  Is there any difference in BIOS firmware between the systems?  Can you try moving a card that is detected in a x1 slot to a system where the card is not detected in the x1 slot?  This would verify that it is something with the server vs our DIO board.

Kyle A.
National Instruments
Senior Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(4,269 Views)

Yes, the cards are seated properly.  All system boards have same firmware and same bios.  Cards are all the same.  Yes same drivers. 

We put a NIC into the x1 slot to verify that the slot is working.  Cards work fine in the x16 slots.  Even tried upgrading drivers and bios.  If we remove 1 card and place a different Nidaq card in x1 slot, it works fine.  Only seeing issue when one of the 2 original from the x16 slot is placed in x1.  It is almost as if the system board or OS or Nidaq card is retaining some settings.....

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(4,266 Views)

Is your power supply adequate to support your new PCIe graphics card in addition to the 6535s?  The 6535s use both the 3.3V and 12V rails of the PCIe bus (specs page link).  You might want to look into the specs of your graphics card as well as power supply to make sure everything fits together. 

Is it possible that your motherboard might be limiting the available current to the x1 slot (something like this)?

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(4,258 Views)

I don't think its that. To test I removed all the cards, so only the Nidaq is in the x1 slot. What's freaky: Windows at startup recognizes it and goes through hardware installation. It even says that in the Windows logs. But it's nowhere in Device Mangager and the NI software doesn't see it either.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(4,254 Views)

Update. I tried swapping the Nidaq cards so they are both in PCI Express x16 slots. NI software detects them fine. What would cause Windows 2008 to not detect the cards when they are moved to a PCI Express x1 slot?  It's almost as if the Nidaq cards themselves retain location information and don't work when the slot type no longer matches.  Is there a way to wipe the Nidaq card memory?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(4,168 Views)

For the volatility of memory on the 6535, look here.

I am confused at which configurations you tried, so can you let me know which configurations you have tried below, and the result of the test?

Placing one of the four original cards in your two non-working systems in a x1 slot that is in one of the three working systems.

Placing one of the six working cards in the x1 slot of your non-working system.

Also, can I get the DAQmx driver version you are using, and the board revision numbers on the 4 boards that are not working (typically this can be found by the P/N, which will look like XXXXXXB-01L, where B means rev B).

Kyle A.
National Instruments
Senior Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(4,151 Views)

The fact that other non-Nidaq cards work in the x1 slots tells me that the system board is fine.

Board revision: 192203D-01L. and 192203C-01L.  Driver is the lastest from NI website, it says 4.7.4f0.

Is there a way to wipe the memory on the Nidaq cards to factory default?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(4,148 Views)

How much power do the other cards require?  The 6535 could require up to 750 mA on the 3.3V rail and 300 mA on the 12V rail.  The 6535 doesn't care if it's in a x1 or a x16 slot and nothing is written to the on-board memory that would distinguish the two.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(4,140 Views)

I don't think its the other cards because the Nidaq card is still not being detected in the x1 slot when there are no other cards present. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(4,138 Views)