From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI DIO 96 power off condition

Solved!
Go to solution

I am sharing an appliance which contains LEDs that either of two PCI DIO 96 cards can sink the LED to turn it on - a 'wired-or' condition. This works great as long as both of the PCI DIO cards stay active.

When one system containing the DIO card is powered off, the LED at the appliance illuminates overriding the chance of the other system using it.

is there a way to command (or strap) the PCI DIO 96 card to go to a 'high impedance' or HIGH state when powered off?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,027 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author EddieWawa

Digital outputs on NI cards aren't able to go to a specified state when the card is not powered. The PCI-DIO-96 has internal bias resistors to pull the lines high to +5V when powered on, but when the card isn't powered, the +5V Vcc line is not powered, so the lines will not stay high.

You might be able to use an external bias resistor to keep the line pulled high when the card is powered off, but it isn't really a case that the card was designed for.

-Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,955 Views)

Elcalverado, it is good to get an answer that validates my troubleshooting results.

I have decided to use a solid state relay to "share the line" with the other DAQ board.

Thanks for your answer.

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,939 Views)