Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on how to use NI 6534 data acquisition card.

Can somebody tell how to actually capture digital IO data by using NI 6534 card?
I have it hooked up to a data device and I can see bit lights are flashing on signal panel.
Of course, self-test passed. I have got 32 bit data coming in with one bit clock toggling on
REG1. I believe this is a simple pattern IO. Could you tell which software should I use to
start data capture, and operation procedure?

Thanks.

Jim, a new user
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,697 Views)
Hi Jim,

I hope you're doing well.  It sounds like you are able to get your device working in the Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) using the test panels, and I am assuming this is using the NI-DAQmx device drivers.  Now you are wondering how to actually develop applications for acquiring your digital data.  This will depend on what programming development environment you are using.  The recommended one is LabVIEW.  In LabVIEW, I would take a look at the shipping examples in the NI Example Finder (Help»Find Examples, then browse Hardware Input and Output»DAQmx»Digital Measurements).  There are many examples showing you how to acquire data, depending on whether you would like to acquire a finite amount of points, continuously, use triggering, etc.

Also, if you wish you program in a text-based language, this is certainly an option as well.  Take a look at this KnowledgeBase (KB), as it discusses what options you have available to you as far as DAQmx driver support in certain languages.  Take a look at these options and let us know if you have any additional questions!

Thaison V
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,673 Views)
hi,

i have used NI PCI-6534 for digital data acquisition in Microsoft Visual C++ Console based application....

all u need to do is install the driver and check the Microsoft Visual C++ support (or smth like that,,,, i don't remember right now)
and go to examples folder of the National Instruments directory where u ahve installed the driver and see the example  PatternIOExtClk smth like that..... it will help u in accomplishing ur task....

if u have more questions u can contact me

regards
abid
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,664 Views)
Been here recently.  Use REQ1 (PFI2, pin-2 of the 68-pin connector) as the trigger asking for DEV?/port0:3 inputs as a single result.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,568 Views)
hello,

i'm a beginner with labview and i have some questions to ask

1) how can i rename the different channels (dev1/a0....a11) of my PCI 6251 into hydrogen, temperature,....
2) how can i change a XY graph into a waveform or the waveform into a XY graph? I'd like to insert one into the other but it depends of what is possible
3) how can i change a time expressed into string format into a time expressed in dbl format

thank you very much for the informations

kristof
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,508 Views)
Kristof,

For future reference, if you have a new question we usually ask that you create a new thread.  That being said, here are some answers to your questions.

1) You can use the DAQmx Create Channel VI to create a channel and wire the desired name into the "name to assign" terminal.  You can cacade multiple DAQmx Create Channel VI's to create multiple named channels.  An other way to do this is to use the Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) to create a virtual channel for each channel that you want to acquire.  Then you can create a task that includes all of your virtual channels.  Once you have this task you can generate LabVIEW code from this task.  To do this please refer to the DAQ Getting Started guide which can be found here.

2) I'm not totally sure what you mean by changing an XY graph info a waveform.  An XY graph is meant for taking an array of x points and an array of y points and mapping this on the screen.  If you have something of a waveform data type you would probably be better off graphing this on a Waveform Chart or Graph as opposed to an XY graph.

3) I'm a little confused by this question as well.  In what context would you need to convert a time expressed in a string format to a dbl format?  What would it look like in dbl format?  LabVIEW does have a type called "timestamp" which is usually used to denote a point in time.  It's actually the number of seconds since 6pm 12/31/1903.  There is a VI to convert from a number to a timestamp called "To Time Stamp" which will convert a number into a timestamp.  You can also use the "Type Cast" VI to convert from a timestamp into a U64 integer.

Something you might want to look at if you're just getting started with DAQmx is the "Learn 10 Functions in NI-DAQmx and Solve 80% of Data Acquisition Applications" Developer Zone article.  Here's a link to it...

I hope this helps,
Justin D.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,493 Views)