Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need More Power to drive relay USB 6001 digital output Please help

Hello community

I have a USB 6001 Ni card in a program that will drive a Opto22 G4 relay to turn a motor on and off using a digital output

The problem I am having is the output of the 6001 about 3.3 volts ( high) dosent have enough current to Switch the relay 

if I connect the relay ( opto22 G4) up to a simple 5Vdc power source then the relay switches solid but with the USB6001 there is not quite enough power to do this .

Can anyone provide me with an inexpensive solution that will provide enough power to switch this relay ?

I think the opto22 G4 relay requires 12Ma to switch and the Ni usb6001 card will only provide 4 ma 

your thoughts  ?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,233 Views)

@Billshull wrote:

I think the opto22 G4 relay requires 12Ma to switch and the Ni usb6001 card will only provide 4 ma

Please watch your capitalization with units.  It makes a big difference, especially between Mega and milli.  So if the relays need 12mA, you could get away with a simple level shifter/digital buffer circuit.  I have used these with a lot of success: SN74LVCC4245APWR.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,219 Views)

Thanks I will give it a try

After all the chip is only 1.23 each

but I will have to wire it up and make a breadboard for it 

lol

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,180 Views)

I received the SN74LVCC4245APWR Chips today only to find they are Super small no way I can use this since they are 1/2 thumb nail size ?

perhaps a pull up resistor will work  has anyone tried this  ?

if so  how would you make this work ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,133 Views)

Hi Billshull,

You can't ask the device for more current than what it is capable of providing. As you said, the limit for the DO is 4 mA, so if you try to obtain more than that, it shouldn't give it, and it could even get damaged if it does. Maybe you could use a transistor connected to an external power supply as the current provider, and use the DO as the control signal for cutoff-saturation working? You would just need to calculate the collector and base resistors in order to get this working mode for the transistor.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,112 Views)

yes

This I think is my only option besides buying a Ni card that has enough power to do the job 

Looking into this now 

thanks for the help

I will let you know my solution soon

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,084 Views)