From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB 6525 Limitations

Hi all,

So ive run into a problem with the USB 6525. I am using it as relay to power a solenoid on and off. But i have found that the swithing rate has a max of 2.5 Hz. I had desired to get at least 3 Hz and in some cased even more. Would any one be able to recommend a device that would have this capability. It would be preferable for the device to be USB.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,569 Views)

Hello Tyler,

I've looked into several sources and found that the switch rate should be 5 Hz. Could you provide your code or show how you're only getting 2.5 Hz?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,536 Views)

There shouldn't be any problem with my code. I got an reply back from someone at NI that validates my initial thought. Below is the response. So basically the spec sheet states that USB6525 has a switching rate of 5 operations per second. It seems people have interpreted that to mean 5 Hz, as opposed to 2.5 Hz. 

"Hello Tyler,

This is Ricardo an Applications Engineer at National Instruments. The operations per second described on the manual refer to only a single action of either on or off, not a complete 'cycle' of this operations. Let me know if you were told otherwise by someone from NI when you acquired the device, to see if there's something we can do about this. Have a great weekend.

Regards Ricardo Abarca Applications Engineer National Instruments http://www.ni.com/support"

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,518 Views)

So basically, im just wondering if anyone has used a similar device that allowed for a higher switching rate.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,515 Views)

Hello Tyler,

As far as I know, we do not have a device that has a faster switch rate in a USB form factor, though I may not have dug deep enough. I believe if you were to use a PXI switch card, you would likely be able to reach higher switch rates.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,493 Views)