From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI USB-6212 digital output

Hi there,

I am using a the USB-6212 board and I would like to generate a task in order to create a digital square wave at a given frequency (400 Hz). My problem arises from the fact that NI MAX only allows me to use only a software timed timing for such task. Did I miss something? Should I use the output from a counter of my board in order to generate a digital square wave?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,642 Views)

Hi,
it's not clear what you mean by "software timed timing".
Anyway, I tried to create a simulated USB-6212 and then an analog voltage output task. In the screenshot below you can see how to generate a 400 Hz square wave.

Capture.PNG

Hope it helps!
Regards,
Alessia

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,596 Views)

@A.A.Z. wrote:

I am using a the USB-6212 board and I would like to generate a task in order to create a digital square wave at a given frequency (400 Hz). My problem arises from the fact that NI MAX only allows me to use only a software timed timing for such task. Did I miss something? Should I use the output from a counter of my board in order to generate a digital square wave?

The USB-6212 only has static DIO.  This means they can only be software timed.  The simplest thing to do would be to use one of the counters to generate your square wave.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 4
(2,581 Views)

1. No, your device doesn't support hw-clocked DIO, sometimes called "correlated DIO" and support on most  other M-series devices.  According to this article, your USB  bus-powered device is one of the exceptions.

2. Yes you *can* generate such a square wave with a counter and as a bonus, it'll be much simpler than setting up correlated DIO.  Check it out in MAX and then look at the shipping examples for Counter Output.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 4 of 4
(2,577 Views)