Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PCI 6536

Hi everyone,
I am studying the possibility of using a NI PCI 6536 board for a seemingly quite simple application:
  • The board waits for a trigger signal and after receiving it, it activates a DO and after a configurable delay time it activates another DO.
  • The delay between this two DOs must have a 0.5 ms precision.
  • The value of the elapsed time between these two DOs must be settable from a host computer application.

I am pretty sure I can achieve this with this board but I am new to this kind of HW and I would like to have a second opinion.

Anything you could tell me would be extremely helpful. A piece of sample labview code would be just great.

Thank you so much to everyone

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,324 Views)

Hi,

Yeah you can do it with a PCIe-6536 also I believe with any other DIO card that has timing (non static) and accepts start trigger (probably a 6533 would be enough too...)

What you should do is just create a task with this 2 channels. For starting the task just insert an start trigger.

The inputs of the 2 lines can be all '1' for the trigger start and a sequence like this "00...00001111111111" for the second one.

For calculating the delay just take in consideration the Output rate and the delay you want. For example I have an output rate of 100 Hz then between every sample i got 10 ms. If I want a delay of 500 ms i will insert 50 '0' before the '1'. That way I can control the delay just writing the output array.

If you want a resolution around 0.5 ms your output signal rate should be higher than 2000 KHz.

Hope that helps you to start your application,

Regards,

Jaime Cabrera

NI Applications Engineering Spain
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,269 Views)