Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PCI-6514 Complete Package Difficulties

My boss just bought the NI PCI 6514 complet package that includes the connector block, cable, ni pci 6514, and the software. We have installed the pci to the computer and have installed the software. However when I go to labview and add the DAQ assistant block and try to generate a signal and out put it to the connector block, it says "No supported Devices found". Also, when I go to the Measurement and Automation Explorer it detects the NI PCI-6514.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,743 Views)

Don't attach images as proprietary documents. Silly. Easier to just attach the screenshot saved as png.

You don't mention what version of LabVIEW that you are using and what version of DAQmx that you installed.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,737 Views)

I am using labview 2011 for windows and NI-DAQmx 9.3.5 thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,723 Views)

Not sure when support for 2011 was added. You can try installing DAQmx 9.4.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,708 Views)

Hi again, I just downloaded the 9.4 version no luck. however i did notice that i can generate a Digital output signal to line or port output. What is the difference and is this what i want to do if i want to output 5 volts to one of the pins of the scb100 block?

Also on another note, I also have signal labview signal express 2011. what is the difference between this and regular labview 2011? When i am in labview signal express and i look at the "channel view" section it says there are no devices available. Should this concern me?

thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,702 Views)

Hi there, take a look at the zip file attach. Are you following this procedure and still getting the "No supported Devices found" message? Setting up a task in MAX, the DAQ assistant or SignalExpress is basically the same. That message normally appears when you are trying to set up a task not supported for the device, like a voltage task in this case since the PCI-6514 is completely digital. With this settings putting a high state in the port line should give you around 5 volts with 350 mA. I don't recommend you to use this as a voltage source though. Check the specifications before doing anything. This signal should be visible at Pin 26, look this in your connector block and hook up a DMM to read the signal.

Alejandro C. | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,692 Views)

Ok i followed these instructions and recieved no error which is great! However do i need to "check" digital out on the last step or do i leave it unchecked?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,682 Views)

That is your control. Checking digital out will set the output port line to a high state and unchecked means a low state.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,680 Views)

I am unsure what setting i need to set the scb block to. Specifically the switch setting. Should  i use DIO/passthrough mode?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,675 Views)

The connector block just provides an easy access to the pins in your PCI card. That being said, pin number one in the PCI-6514 should be accessible trough pin number one in your SCB-100. The connector block should be enumerated, if you are having trouble seeing the location of the pins check the board parts locator diagram here. Plus, pass through is not necessary, unless you want to add a digital filter. For more information you can read the board's user manual here. Good luck

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,669 Views)