From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PCI 6225 digital imput used to read serial signal

Hi,

I'm using a PCI 6225 in a project to read a binary data sent in a serial format.

The signal I'm trying to read is an output of a board that sends its ID number, for example, it sends its ID like 3542 in a binary format (110111010110) this data is sent from an single output signal of a specific board. This signal is sent continuously at a maximum of 4 data bits per second (2 hertz).

I was trying to read this signal from one of the digital inputs of the 6225, I used the Read Dig Chan-Change Detection.vi from the examples but it's not working 😞

Any idea to help me read this serial signal??

Thanks,

Marisol MS

Marisol Mejías Segura
Electronics Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,497 Views)

Hey Marisol,

Change dection probably isn't your best bet because it will only latch in data on edges, so  110111010110 would be latched in as 10101010 - all repeats would be lost. Does your board send a clock signal? If so you could use it as an external clock and do a correlated digital read. I would start with the "Cont Read Dig Chan-Ext Clk.vi" shipping example. If you don't have a clock signal, you could use a counter to generate a clock and read the data.The "Correlated Dig Read With Counter.vi" example would be good for that. 

Hope this helps, 

Andrew S

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,491 Views)

Hi,

I cannot find the file Correlated Dig Read With Counter.vi in the examples folder....

Could you send it to me?

Thanks

Marisol Mejías Segura
Electronics Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,445 Views)

We added the example in 8.7 or 8.8, ao you could just update DAQmx. Otherwise I've attached it saved as a LabVIEW 8.0 file below.

thanks, 

Andrew S

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,439 Views)