Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9476 - Actuating a relay

Hello:

I would like to use an NI 9476 to actuate 24 V relays. My setup consists of a 24 V power supply feeding into a CB-37F-HVD terminal block (into the Vsup and COM channels - I chose channel 28 for the Vsup and 19 for the COM). I have 3 relay connected to the terminal block and would like to pass control signals to them.

My impression is that the LabVIEW variable DO28 (the Vsup) needs to be always set to TRUE so that a voltage is applied to our circuit, which I can then switch to LOW when I want to actuate a relay. I have tried to create a program both through scan mode and FPGA but I still can't get a control signal through to the relay. I am using a cRIO 9024. 

I am not sure if the wiring I have is wrong or the LabVIEW logic I have proposed is incorrect.

Your assistance is appreciated, thank you.

Jacek

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,789 Views)

cuaerospace wrote: I chose channel 28 for the Vsup and 19 for the COM). I have 3 relay connected to the terminal block and would like to pass control signals to them.

No, you should be connected to PIN 28 and 19 for the supply voltage and ground.

So when you set a digital output on (for instance DO28), then that pin will be connected to your Vsup.  In this case, that would be pin 34.

I recommend a good read through the manual (http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373964d.pdf).  Pages 7 and 8 describe how the device works.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,782 Views)

Hi:

I am connected to pins 28 and 19 as you said, for the supply voltage and ground. I then have the relays connected to pins 16, 17 and 18. Their ground connection is ALSO connected to the supply voltage ground in pin 19. Should I be using a separate COM pin for the relays. 

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,777 Views)

Nope.  Grounds should be all the same.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,774 Views)

Ok then perhaps it is the logic that I am trying to implement in LabVIEW. 

What do you recommend as a simple program to, say, turn on and off channel 16? I want to note when I load in my chassis into the project window, slot 5 where the 9476 is placed in, does not register and I cannot discover it as a c series module. May this be a hardware issue?

Thanks, I appreciate your quick replies. These forums never let me down.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,772 Views)

cuaerospace wrote: I want to note when I load in my chassis into the project window, slot 5 where the 9476 is placed in, does not register and I cannot discover it as a c series module. May this be a hardware issue?

That sounds like a hardware issue.  Does it work in MAX?

GCentral
Message 6 of 8
(5,763 Views)

I apologize but I do not know how to configure/test a card in MAX. I just fudged around with it and can't seem to test it (if that's what you're alluding to). Do you mean distributed system manager? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,761 Views)

It was a faulty card. We tried another one and it works just fine. thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,754 Views)