Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 5938 I/O card (1998) - What does it do and are there doc's avail?

I found this card in an old computer we are tossing and I thought it might still be useful.  The problem is that I am not entirely sure what it does.  I would guess that it is some type of basic I/O card.  The only labels are: 'National Instruments 1998' and '5938'.  I searched the NI support doc's but had no luck finding it.  Does anyone know anything about this card or how I could get some detailed information about it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,306 Views)

Good morning cycleguy,

I searched through our internal documents and unfortunately cannot find a trace of this card.  Would you happen to have any more information on the card (ie, Serial Number or Part Number)?  This would help us to locate any record of the device.  Can you power on the old computer and recognize the card?  If so, this might lend a clue as to what the card is by identifying the properties of the card in Device Manager in Windows.

Check to see i the part number is: PN 185183B-01.  If this is so, the card is a PCI-6503 DIO Card, and the product page is here.

Best,

Message Edited by cyclone2k9 on 05-14-2010 10:34 AM
Adam
Academic Product Manager
National Intruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,289 Views)
I found a number that might be the S/N: 185185A-01.  Under that it has UL94V-0 printed on it.  After some google searching, I found that someone sold one of these on ebay a while back.  They had it listed as an interface card, so no luck there...  I already removed the card from the old computer and plan to install it into another to check it out some time later.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,268 Views)
I checked out the link provided above and the cards physically look the same.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,264 Views)
I have digital IO board part-no 185185A-01 (NI 1998); Which presumably is the NI 5938 I/O card? I assume that the NI PCI-6503 is just the latest "24 bit PPI 24 channel dig IO" provided by NI. If I need to replace the NI 5938, is the NI 6503 a straight swap or should I be looking to get an old NI 5398?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,173 Views)

The 6503 is the newest available, and there doesn't seem to be any documentation I can find on the 5938. I would try posting this as a new thread if you want to get more people involved. This may have been the same issue as the thread you posted in, but the last post there was a few years ago.

Rob S
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,141 Views)

Hi all.

I still have 3 PCI 5938  boards saved,,

I work wirh them some years ago...   around  10 years back

Is a 50 line digitaL  I/O..  TTL not isotated channel to channel it was a low cost board and work very good  with my application  (LabVIEW)

There is no more support and avaialable,  

To use it with need a desktop computer with PCI bus,,,   and  the driver,   Im not sure  if I have a version with the drivers

Best Regards.

Ing. Reynaldo Lima Villarreal
Ingenieria Electronica (I N G E L)
Reynosa, Tamps. México

Cel: +52 899 160-52-59
Email: reynaldolima@aol.com
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,778 Views)

Hi Rlima,

After searching the part number listed on the board in the picture you provided, it looks like it could also be labeled as the PCI-6503.

According to the readme from the newest version of DAQmx, the card appears to still be supported even though it is a legacy card.

You can download the latest version here and try it out:

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-daqmx-14.1/4953/en/

Justin M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,750 Views)

Hi Justin..

Thanks for you quick reply......

Is good to know is still supported by NIDAQmx..... is a little all.. but it works

I will give it a try...   

Best Regards...

Ing. Reynaldo Lima Villarreal
Ingenieria Electronica (I N G E L)
Reynosa, Tamps. México

Cel: +52 899 160-52-59
Email: reynaldolima@aol.com
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,743 Views)