From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Driver for NI 6509?

We are looking to use the NI 6509 on a project. The system is Linux based and we have been looking to use Comedi. However, it appears Comedi provide support only through the 6508.

On top of that, none of the documentation I have found discusses the register layout of the NI 6509. Is such documentation available should we have to write our own driver?

Any comments from NI 6509 users working in Linux will be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Don
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,890 Views)
Dear Don,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments.

To address your question, as you probably know, National Instruments offers a beta version of Data Acquisition (DAQ) for Linux, a driver called DAQmx Base. You can find it by searching Drivers and Updates at ni.com. However, this driver still does not support the NI 6509. National Instruments is determined to support Linux customers, so support may become available in the near future.

Also, for future reference, Comedi makes available an open-source driver that offers approximately 90% of the functionality of our NI-DAQ driver, but like you said, it also doesn't support the 6509.

Lastly, we don't offer register level documentation for the NI 6509. I've contacted Research and Development abo
ut the issue, and National Instruments has chosen not to release this information for customers to write their own drivers. If this changes, I'll let you know.

Let me know if you have any further questions or if this does not resolve your issue.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Chad AE
Applications Engineer - National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,891 Views)
There's a register-level manual up now:

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371580a.pdf

I'm planning to add support to Comedi for the 6509 and related static dio boards soon. Hopefully next week, but almost definitely in the next few months.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,623 Views)

The NI 6509 works with comedi, use the ni_65xx driver. I have a system with 8 of those cards working. I can give you code snippets if that would be helpful.

Pat

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,100 Views)