Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView application fails to run at computer startup

Hello,

I have designed VI which uses DAQmx 7.4 and two NI PCI-6513 cards and compiled it into an executable using "application builder". VI and executable run OK on development machine and on target PC but only as long as I MANUALLY start them. Whenever I try to run the executable at SYSTEM STARTUP on a target computer, application goes into "not responding" state for about a minute and finally returns an error "-200324". This error occurs in process of NI DAQmx DO task creation. The target PC is set-up to automatically login user "XY". My executable is run minimized from user "XY" "startup" directory. DAQmx 7.4 and LabView 7.1 runtime are installed on target PC.

My guess is this problem has something in common with:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/e03ee22d2e50c2fd86256fd400019116

thus I tried to add some delay (up to 30 seconds) prior to NI hardware allocation but no luck ... what seems to be the catch here ...

thank you, Robert
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,685 Views)
Hi Robert,

I tried simulating your situation by placing an Analog Acquisition application into my Startup folder, but did not encounter the same issue. To verify if the loading of the driver is indeed the cause of the problem, try using an exagerated delay, or using a button to control when the DO starts. Also, try using the DAQmx Reset Device VI before your DO task.

Lastly, I just want to verify that your application was developed using DAQmx 7.4 and that you're able to use your DAQ device (e.g. through Test Panel in MAX) on your target machine without any problem.

Thanks,
Lesley Y.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,669 Views)
Hi LYu,

First I removed my app. from startup folder and rebooted. Both 6513 devices seem to work properly as reported in MAX 3.1.1. I've tried using test panels, self test and device reset ... all passed OK! DAQmx version stated in MAX is 7.4.0f0 (I installed it over DAQmx 7.2 that came with the hardware)

I introduced a delay of 5 minutes before creating DO tasks on the two PCI-6513 cards and run my app. at computer startup. As soon as it comes to HW allocation the error "-200324" is reported. If I run the app. maually I get error "-200324" again. Trying to reset either of the devices in MAX results in error "-88705". The same error is posted if I try to reset the devices with "DAQmx reset device.vi" after the 5 min delay and prior to HW allocation.

I've actually resolved the issue with help of auxilary application which just waits for 30 seconds and calls the main app. through "System Exec.vi", yet still I wonder why just the "straightforward" call won't do ... hope we can clarify this.

thank you, Robert
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,661 Views)
Hi Robert,

The error "-88705" is a generic error that returns when the driver doesn't load. Very often, the cause of this is a corrupted driver installation of NI-DAQ. To verify this, we can try placing your application in the StartUp of another computer with DAQ installed. If the same situation is not seen on a different computer, we can be confident that the driver install is the issue and remove and reinstall it on your computer. If the same situation is seen on another computer with NI-DAQ 7.4, perhaps you can try posting your program such that I can try to replicate the situation here.

Thanks,
Lesley
Message 4 of 9
(4,647 Views)

@LYu wrote:
Hi Robert,

The error "-88705" is a generic error that returns when the driver doesn't load. Very often, the cause of this is a corrupted driver installation of NI-DAQ. To verify this, we can try placing your application in the StartUp of another computer with DAQ installed. If the same situation is not seen on a different computer, we can be confident that the driver install is the issue and remove and reinstall it on your computer. If the same situation is seen on another computer with NI-DAQ 7.4, perhaps you can try posting your program such that I can try to replicate the situation here.

Thanks,
Lesley

Hi Lesley,

I've installed the cards and DAQmx 7.4 onto another machine from the same installation source. All went well, and no errors have been reported at startup. I tried re-installing DAQmx and hardware on the dedicated machine. Installation completed succesfuly, as did the first time, but still my application "hangs" at startup with the same errors as encountered before ... application runs perfectly if I start it manually or through a system call.

Attached please find the program in question (LabView 7.1 VI and executable) ... It looks to me as if the DAQmx devices are somehow accessed/checked at application start regardless of DAQmx 7.4 loading status. What do you think?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,631 Views)
Hello Robert,

Try building one of the LV shipping examples that will work with your DAQ board into an executable and have it run at start up. I looked at your program and didn't notice anything odd, but this will be a quick verification that it is a driver/system/hardware issue as opposed to software.

How did you implement your delay in your program?

With what user priveleges did you install the DAQ driver and under which user are you trying to run the program?

I'm not exactly sure what is causing this behavior since it is only happening on one computer. And without being able to successfully reproduce it on other computers, it will be difficult for even a developer to know what is happening.

Take care,
E.Lee
Eric
DE For Life!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,622 Views)
I compiled "Write Dig Chan.vi" example VI and ran it at startup on target PC. Error "-200324" is reported.

I'm using one user only with administrative privileges on my target PC throughout the process. The same user is automatically logged in at startup so this shouldn't a "privilege" issue ...

The delay prior to NI QAQmx hardware allocation is/was done with "wait (ms).vi" prior to DAQmx task creation (see "att.zip" -> "Wait Implementation.PNG").

On target PC I also took the liberty of installing additional DAQ PCI-6601 and ran compiled "Write Dig Chan.vi" example at startup to access its resources. I guess we're making some progress now since the error has changed to "-88303" 🙂 ... What do you think of this?
The attempt to reset 6601 in Automation Explorer failed with the same error (see "att.zip" -> "Write Dig Chan - PCI6601 - reset error.PNG").

The "Write Dig Chan.vi" application executes "no problemo" at startup on a third PC with PCI6601 re-installed (old Intel P-II test box).

Should we proclaim my target PC as "temporal insane" during boot-up as far as hardware is concerned, or is it the software ?!? Should/can we investigate any further to pinpoint this incompatibility ...

Robert
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,609 Views)
Hello Robert,

It definitely sounds like your target PC is acting kind of crazy. I'm not sure if getting the 88303 error is making any progress, could you attach a screenshot of that error as well? You have gathered enough information to give us a good idea of what is going on, even though we may not know why it is happening on this particular computer. If it is an option for you, you could try to wipe all NI software from the computer and try a fresh reinstall. If that doesn't work, it might have to do with the OS installation and we might consider reformatting the computer and reinstalling the OS. I know these are extreme measures, but I can't really think of anything we can modify, aside from the workarounds you have already done, to try and fix this behavior.

Take care,
E.Lee
Eric
DE For Life!
Message 8 of 9
(4,596 Views)
Hi Lee,

Concerning the screenshot of the error "-88303" after trying to allocate PCI6601 at startup:
I'm afraid I've unplugged the PCI6601 board from the "crazy" PC and restored it to it's normal operation in production line. Since it's location is rather remote to me it's more convenient to reproduce the same error in LabView (see attachment).

Concerning the NI software complete removal/reinstall:
I've actually done that already when DAQmx 7.4 has been reinstalled. First I removed all the traces of NI software and installed a fresh copy of LV7.1 runtime and DAQmx 7.4.

I don't think I'll try reinstalling the OS ... I'll just stick to my workaround this time.

Thank you very much for your hints and especially for beeing available to help.

take care,

Robert
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,583 Views)