Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it faster to A) manually code a digital trigger using Digital I/O Read in a while loop, B) use the Handshaking/Pattern Detection/Trigger features, or C) use the Call Library Functions, calling a DLL that came with my DAQCard-6533?

I have coded a digital I/O "trigger" manually--meaning I have placed in a while loop a digital I/O Read that triggers another sequence of events. The only problem is that I'm having speed problems. The entire system is not fast enough. I think I could use the handshaking pattern generation since I'm only concerned with the rising edge of a pulse every second. The problem is I don't just want to read data immediately (as I assume a buffered trigger works), I need to set one line high, one line low, and then read data off
an entire port--a series of commands that I have already coded in LabView. Is there any way to have the hardware trigger and execute some code in LabView? Also, is there any way to speed up Labview execution time, I noticed when I closed down some running applications, performance increased.... Any help appreciated!
--
Charles Brian Quinn
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,283 Views)
Charles,
Your application is not totally clear, and may need some more detail for a totally correct answer. I would recomend submitting this to NI's Email support team at www.ni.com/ask. I do have one recomendation you can look into first.
You could configure a port to do Pattern Generation input that is triggered off of the StartTrigger. In your read loop, wait for the trigger. The first time through the loop, don't read any data, just wait on the trigger. You would have a case statement, that would allow you, on the second interation of the loop, to ouput your high and low pulses on a second port and then change the number of data points to read. I have included a small snipet that may help you understand what I am talking about.

Nick Wilson
Applicaiton Engi
neering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/ask
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,283 Views)
I can't seem to open the file you gave. It says:
"Resource not found.
An error occurred loading VI 'dio_trigger_example.vi'.
LabVIEW load error code 8: Could not load VI resource."

I have LabVIEW 5.0 - do I need a newer version, or is the file not working?
--
Charles Brian Quinn
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,283 Views)
Could someone download the .vi example given below and convert it to LabVIEW 5.0 format, and post or e-mail to me: seebq at hotmail . com.

Thanks!
--
Charles Brian Quinn
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,283 Views)