Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone experiencing .NET 4 Framework incompatibilities with NI-8106 Embedded Controller

I have some PXI ATE's that use the PXI-8106 Controllers, and since I have updated the development system to NI Developer Suite 2012 DS1 (LabVIEW 2011 SP1), I have been having issues with TestStand losing communication with the LabVIEW Automation server at the completion of executions, that used to work just fine.

This has happened now on 2 seperate controllers, with ATE SW that worked just fine before the Development System upgrades???

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,576 Views)

Hi ATE

Which version of TestStand are you using?

Do you get an error code when you lose communication?

LabVIEW Automation Server uses Active X technology, which is different from .NET, so there is an incompatibility there. 

Chris S.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,527 Views)

NI Developer Suite 2011 DS2 works just fine, but if I do the NI Update Service updates OR upgrade the test sets to NI Developer Suite 2012 DS1 or later, then this issue occurs. I thought it might have something to do with the change over to .NET 4 Framework, but I'm not sure.

The real problem is there seems to be absolutely no way for me to troubleshoot this, as tracing through the process models doesn't show me any problems, and the problem occurs AFTER the executions have completed, so as far as TestStand is concerned the execution has completed, but it literally drops communication with LabVIEW and hangs the system until I go into the Task Manager and kill the LabVIEW process, to me it seems related to CRL, but again I can't get in to see what's going on??

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,524 Views)

Hi ATE

Seems that if you are using CLR 2.0 it is incompatible with .NET Framework 4, so if you project was built using .NET 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 they’ll work with CLR 2.0, but it would not work with .NET 4.

LabVIEW 2011 uses CLR 2.0, so basically LabVIEW 2011 doesn’t support .NET 4.

Chris S.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,499 Views)

LabVIEW 2011 works fine, LabVIEW 2011 SP1 is where the issues start to arise, but again I can't tell if the problem is LabVIEW or TestStand, or even some other componenets of MAX, there are quite a few changes between the two development releases, but symptomatically it appears to be related to .NET 4 Framework from what I can tell.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,497 Views)