Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is NI-DAQ required before VISA serial commands (like "VISA Open") will work?

Hi All,
We're using some LabVIEW (6.1) serial-device drivers that are based on NI VISA. When the application is compiled and run on a target machine, it doesn't work because of missing VISA dependencies. I don't want to install VISA on every target machine, though it looks like that's the official solution.

In a related thread (here) a LBVer found joy, simply, by copying two system32 VISA DLLs to the target. I don't see those same DLLs on the development platform and suspect my OS and LabVIEW versions differ from his.

Any help with a workaround under Win2k and LabVIEW 6.1 would be appreciated.

Cheers.
When they give imbeciles handicap-parking, I won't have so far to walk!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,190 Views)
VISA is needed regardless

You have to install the VISA run time engine on the target nmachine for the application to work

or,

when you make the executable (build application), there is an option to enable serial support. In this case, the necessary VISA files are installed with the executable.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,191 Views)
Thank you for the reply, Doc...
...though, I'm not seeing the "enable serial support" option you mentioned. What version of LabVIEW are you using? Under what "Build Application" tab was that? Installer Settings/Advanced perhaps? Only Run-Time options (all checked) and "Remote Panel License Support" here.

Regards.
When they give imbeciles handicap-parking, I won't have so far to walk!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,184 Views)
The Enable serial port option is found under
Installer settings---create Installer---adavanced

LabView 7.0/7.1

However, I do not see it under version 6.1

You may have to install the VISA RunTime Engine then on the target machine
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,177 Views)