Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating NI_DAQ Legacy devices and NI-DAQmx software on the same system PCI-DIO-96

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

We have a large system that is developed in VB and uses the traditional NI-DAQ legacy system. The system controls the PCI-DIO-96 controller. We would like to upgrade to some parts of the system to NI-DAQmx and use VB.Net and we know that you can install both systems together on the same computer.

We have few questions:

1) Can both the traditional NI-DAQ legacy and the NI-DAQmx software be integrated in the same system . Some parts of the system will still use VB and the other parts will use VB.Net.

2) If the answer to the first question is Yes. Is there any hardware or software limitations? Is there a recommended way of doing the integration?

3) Are there any knowledge based articles on this subject?

Thanks Magued

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,191 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Magued

There are a number of limitations to using NI-DAQmx and Traditional NI-DAQ at the same time.  First, only one of the drivers can access the device at a time.  To switch between drivers, I recommend consulting this KnowledgeBase Article: Can I Use Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) and NI-DAQmx at the Same Time?  You'll need to use the equivalent VB .NET functions to switch between drivers.

Additionally, the system must be using Windows XP or earlier.

Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,188 Views)

Thanks Seth,  that is an excellent start.

Magued

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,181 Views)