From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I2C with PCI 6537B

Solved!
Go to solution

I have been trying to figure out if there is a way to use my PCI 6537B as an I2C master. I tried searching online but I could not find an I2C controller in the PCI or relevent ways in which I could use the on board peripherals to mimic an I2C. So is it possible to have my 6537B as an I2C master ?? I plan to use Labview to control the device. Any suggestion or feedback is welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,531 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Bhuvi_1

Due to the bidirectionality of I2C, no.  Some alternatives:

1. There is a library floating around to do I2C using an R series FPGA board and LabVIEW FPGA.

2. Use an USB-8451 or USB-8452.  These are USB devices specifically for testing I2C and SPI interfaces.  The API is pretty simple and they just work well.

3. Make your own circuit around a chip like the SC18IM700.  This particular chip has a TTL UART interface (similar to your RS-232 port, but at TTL levels) to your I2C circuit.  Again, the commands are pretty simple once you know how to set up your serial port (and a RS-232 to TTL adapter circuit/part).

4. Use a NI VirtualBench.  Two of the digital lines can be used as an I2C master.

I have been successful with options 2, 3, and 4.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,515 Views)