Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a requiremnt to use PCI Anolog and DIO card. Right now we havent purchase the cards. Can we simulate the PCI/PXI card without actual hardware??? Is there any software available ???

Hi,
 I have a requiremnt to use PCI Anolog and DIO card. Right now we havent purchase the cards. Can we simulate the PCI/PXI  card without actual hardware??? Is there any software available ???
Ravi
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,981 Views)
The driver for NI's cards is called DAQmx and the driver has the ability to do some limited simulation. There is a configuration utility cal Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) for NI cards and in MAX, you can add a simulated device. With whatever software you use, you would call DAQmx functions just like there was reall hardware available. For analog input, you get a sine wave returned. I'm not sure what you get when you do a simulated digital read. I think it might be random data. If you require more sophisticated  simulation, you would have to write the code for it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,973 Views)

Hi Ravindhra,

What Dennis says is correct. You can download and install the NI-DAQmx driver from ni.com. On the webpage, click on the Support tab, select Drivers and Updates, and search within results for NI-DAQmx. When you follow the instructions and install the driver, Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) will be installed too.

After MAX is on your computer, you can open in by going to Start>> All Programs>> National Instruments>> Measurement and Automation.

Simulating a DAQ device can be done in MAX’s Configuration Tree found on the left. First expand My System>> expand Devices and Interfaces>> right click on NI-DAQmx Devices>> select Create New DAQmx Device>> then select NI-DAQmx Simulated Device as seen in the attached screenshot. This will allow you to simulate almost any DAQ device that you are interested in using. Like Dennis said, any task you configure for the analog channels will return a sine wave.

Hope this helps, Mallori M.

Message Edited by mallorim on 02-20-2008 02:59 PM
Mallori M
National Instruments
Sr Group Manager, Education Services

ni.com/training
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,964 Views)