Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control the data rate of a digital write to a port on a PCI-6509

I am using a PCI-6509 to write digital words to a custom digital board. I can generate the proper patterns with the 6509 but the resulting pulse rates are very high (150+ khz) which is very noisy. I know the board cannot have its clock controlled. Is there a simple way to adjust the output rate? I am generating a 1D array and writing this to the device with the NI-DAQmx commands. About all I could come up with is interleaving this array multiple times to stretch the resulting pulse. Anything more elegant, as this seems pretty brute force?

Thanks,

Tom
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,830 Views)
Tom,

An easy way to control the output rate for digital generation is to use the DAQmx Timing.vi. Place this VI anywhere between the configure and start VIs to apply a sample clock, for which you can define the rate. A good example of this is the "Write Dig Chan-Int Clk-Dig Start.vi". If you launch the NI Example finder (Help >> Find Examples), that example is located under Hardware Input and Output >> DAQmx >> Digital Generation. This example uses a digital trigger, which is probably not necessary for your application, but also shows the DAQmx Timing.vi in action.

Andy F.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
-----------------------------------------------------------------
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,820 Views)