From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect external pullup for NI 9403 module

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a NI 9403 module that I use with the cDAQ 9171 USB chasis.

I am trying to use 8 IO pins on the NI 9403 module to read data input. However, the NI 9403 module does not have internal pullup to 5V. It only has a pulldown resistor built in. The system providing this data to the NI 9403 module is far away and the signal output is either 0V or no connection. If I add a pullup resistor I need a 5V source but the NI 9403 module does not have a +5V pin that I can use. I can use a 5V wall power supply for this 5V source but that is a more complicated setup.

Is there any way that I can get a 5V source without using external power supply? Thanks for your help!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,525 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author patrick.li

Simple, use one of the DIO channels as output and write HIGH, now use this channel as a 5V source for your pullups - caution! current limited to 2mA (or the voltage drops significantly).

If I were you, I would implement this pullup at the System providing the data to 9403.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,515 Views)

Thanks for your reply! Yeah I was thinking using a pin as output and pull that high to provide 5V. I need to drive 8 pins but I can only spare 1 pin for this. I think I'm just going to get a 5V wall power supply. I don't understand why they don't assign a pin to give you access to 5V. The module is powered by USB so it must have 5V somewhere inside if I open the chassis up.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,492 Views)

It might seem like a simple thing for you, but think from a product perspective, if you accidentally connect some high voltage on that 5V pin, you're going to blow up the module along with the USB port on the computer. Moreover, this module is generic to plug into a cRIO or cDAQ and both do not necessarily connect to USB, some are standalone, some are Ethernet.

You are thinking only about your use case but as a product manufacturer, they have to think about every single use case and take a decision that would benefit the most not just a few.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 4 of 5
(1,488 Views)

I understand now. That does make a lot of sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me! I have been wondering about the reason for quite some time.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,467 Views)