From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect UBS 6501 with DSC LC-100PI PIR sensor

I have USB 6501 Digital I/O Device and a LC 100PI PIR Motion Detector and i wanna connect them to take data from the sensor and use it in Labview the Digital Device  has lower input voltage and i'm worried about that because the output voltage of the sensor is higher

The Sensor Specifications are :

Detection Method : Quad(Four Element) PIR

Power Input : 9.6 - 16 VDC

Current Draw : Standby 8mA Active 10mA

Compensation YES

Alarm Period 2sec

Alarm Output N.C 28VDC 0.1A with 27Ohm series protection resistor

Tamper Switch N.C 28VDC with 10Ohm series protection resistor

Warm Up period 60sec

RFI Protection 30V/m 10-1000MHz

Digital Device Spec : http://sine.ni.com/ds/app/doc/p/id/ds-135/lang/en

Thank You All for the Help !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,556 Views)

Dear Xellos11,

First of all sorry for the late response! It's really to high voltage for the input, you'll burn it if you connect 28 V. My advise would be to divide that voltage to 5 volts with a voltage divider. It is just 2 resistors actually so the extra circuity won't be to difficult to build. You may find on the following link useful information about voltage dividers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider

Hope it helped!

Best regards,

David Varga

Applications Engineer

NIIH

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,503 Views)

My interpretation of the specs are that the alarm and tamper outputs are mechanical contacts with resistors in series, due to the N.C. (normally closed) in the description.

If that is indeed the case, just wire 5V to one side of teh output and the DAQ input to the other.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,496 Views)

Hey AK2DM,

In this case you are wright, if the output is itself a relay, than use it as a relay. The way you described seems ok.

Good luck with your project! Let me know if you need anything else!

Best regards,

David Varga

Applicaions Engineer

NIH

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,487 Views)

I've already connected my PIR sensor with UBS 6501.The only thing that was needed was a 330 ohm resistor connected to the port12 to devide high from low TTL level. It's working. When the sensor recognize movement appears high level (logic 1) when no movement is recognized stays at low level ( logic 0) .I need some kind of VI that when movement is recognized to create some kind of sound. I've trouble connecting my DAQmx assistant with any kind of sound waveform or something like that . The basic idea is to work like some kind of home alarm system with sofware control panel. like this :

Thank You So Much !

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,415 Views)

Under the graphics and sound pallette you will find functions to emit tones and play waveforms and sound files.

-AK2DM

"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,405 Views)