Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Connect My Phone and Tablet to a USB Connector Drive?

I need to access a lot of files stored in my flash drive. But my laptop just broke down and I can’t seem to find a PC to plug my USB into. Is it possible for me to access my files through my Samsung phone or Samsung tablet? If so, would I be needing special USB connectors or adapters, and what are they? I hope you can help me with this one. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,214 Views)

Hey Justinmurphy0824,

It looks like your question does not related to any National Instruments products.

This question is probably more suited for an Android or Samsung forum.  

But to answer your question, I would look into getting a USB On-The-Go adapter for your device.

Best regards,

Salil Pathare

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

866-275-6964

support@ni.com 

Message 2 of 3
(2,184 Views)

First of all, you need to find out what type of connector your phone or tablet has. Most gadgets nowadays are installed with a micro-USB connector. If your phone or tablet has this, you will need an adapter to connect your phone to your USB drive.

An USB cable adapter, also called a USB On the Go (OTG) cable, is a compact, versatile component that enables a device or gadget that lacks a USB function to operate with other USB technology like a port. The advantage of using an adapter is that it is plug-and-play-capable, meaning, you can connect your device to a USB drive without the need to install a software or to restart your phone or tablet.

Here’s what you need to do: Simply connect your USB drive to the full-size USB female end of the OTG adapter. Then, connect the OTG cable to the port of your phone or tablet. A file manager notification should appear on your phone’s or tablet’s screen. If this does not happen, just swipe down from the top of your phone to show the notification drawer. Then, tap the “USB Drive” to access or transfer your media files.

For newer Android phones and tablets, you may get a notification that says that the drive is “for transferring photos and media.” Look for the “Explore” button if you want to browse your files inside the USB drive. To safely remove your USB drive, as in a computer or laptop, remember to tap on the “Eject” button.

There are other things that you can do with your OTG cable. You can also connect your phone or tablet to other peripheral devices, like a mouse, keyboard, game controller, or an SD reader.

There you have it. With the help of your OTG cable, you can easily access your files in your USB Connector drive using your Android phone or tablet.

Reference Source https://www.wis-connector.com/Connector-Portfolio.aspx

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,135 Views)