From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIO PCI 6503

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a system that has GPIO PCI 6503 Card installed and PA0 port is configured for an alarm unit (24 static digital IO l/ines n(on-isolated 5 V TTL/CMOS) in 8-bit ports, 2.4mA).

I am trying to use solid state relay to get an output as GREEN LED in case normal operation and RED LED in case a fault or failure reported by GPIO card but it is not working at all. I understand that GPIO card has TTL/CMOS as output and SSR relay should work with it. Am I doing something wrong.

Kindly advise. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,343 Views)

You have an issue with current.  The SSR wants 7.5mA of input current, but the PCI-6503 can only output 2.4mA.  So you need some kind of buffer circuit to increase your current capability. There are plenty of chips out there specifically for this purpose.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,328 Views)

Thank you for your quick response.  Would you kindly name or advise any circuitry that can solve this problem.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,321 Views)

@mqayyum wrote:

Would you kindly name or advise any circuitry that can solve this problem.

Just go to Digikey and do a search for Digital Buffer or Digital Transceiver.  There should be lots of options for you.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,313 Views)