cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with acquiring serial digital stream from ADC over SPI or Microwire

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Forums,

I'd like to acquire a digital bitstream over a two-wire serial connection from a analog-to-digital chip such as the AD7679. The device says that is it compatible with SPI and Microwire protocols for doing this.

Are there VIs for handling these serial protocols? And can I use a M-series card like the PXI-6289 to do this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,289 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cwierzynski

Hi cwierzynski,

Thanks for your post!  For your application I would strongly recommend the USB-8451, which was designed for communicating with SPI devices.  You can program your application in LabVIEW using the NI-845x driver, which installs several examples to get you going.

Theoretically you could do this with an M-series device, since they have the capability of correlated DIO (hardware-timed).  You would have to implement the entire protocol in software yourself.  All packet formatting and data alignment would have to be done programatically, as well as slave addressing. This would, of course, incur the overhead of any program running in Windows.  If you are interested in going this route, this forum should get you started in the right direction.

Message Edited by RT4CY on 12-17-2008 11:22 AM
Rod T.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,271 Views)