Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DI0 with pci 6713 with external clock and Labview

I have a PCI 6713 board that I am trying to use to acquire an external digital signal on 2 bits. That signal is a TTL signal and I have 4 wires:
- GROUND
- CLOCK (5.741 MHz, rising edge)
- SIGN bit
- MAGNITUDE bit

I have connected the GROUND wire to the PCI6713 GND, the CLOCK wire to the 6713 PFI1, the SIGN wire to the PCI6713DIO0, the MAGNITUDE wire to the PCI6713 DIO1.

I can not manage to perform an acquisition of this 2-bit data at the rate given by the external CLOCK signal.

I have managed to acquire some data samples using the DIO_Port_Read.vi only in a snapshot way.

But when I try to perform a block acquisition synchronized with the external CLOCK signal, then I can't. In particular, I have tried to
use the DIO_CLOCK_CONFIG.vi and I get the error: unknownDEVICE error.

Also, I can not find any ACK or REQ connector on the PCI 6713 to perform HANDSHAKING acquisition.

So my question is:
- Is it possible to acquire that 2-bit data at a rate given by an external clock (5.741 Mhz) with the PCI 6713 ?
- how do I tell LabView that I want to acquire this 2-bit data at a 5.741 MHz rate given by an external clock signal (what .vi do I have to use, where do I connect the external CLOCK signal as I can not find any ACK or REQ pin) ?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,507 Views)
Greetings,

Unfortunately, you will not be able to use the digital channels on your PCI-6713 to perform hardware-timed digital I/O. The PCI-6713 is only capable of software-timed (static) digital I/O. You may want to consider the PCI-6733. This device also has 8 analog output channels (16 bits of resolution) with an output rate of 1 MS/s. Furthermore, it is capable of hardware-timed digital I/O with a transfer rate of 10 MWords/s. Below is a link with additional information concerning the PCI-6733:

PCI-6733

Good luck with your application.

Spencer S.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,507 Views)
I understand from your answer that external signals can not be used to control digital input with the 6713. Is that right ?
You also say that software-timed digital input can be performed. Does that mean I can read the input port at a rate given by one of the internal timing signals of the board (ex the counters) ?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,507 Views)
The digital port on your board can not be timed by external or internal hardware. Software-timed means that you must make a software call each time you want to read or write from the digital port. Thus, your digital operations will be performed as fast as your software executes.

Spencer S.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,507 Views)

@Spencer S. wrote:
The digital port on your board can not be timed by external or internal hardware. Software-timed means that you must make a software call each time you want to read or write from the digital port. Thus, your digital operations will be performed as fast as your software executes.

Spencer S.

I have the same question that we cannot use external or hardware clock to drive the DIO port but what about counter port? Can I use external clock to change the sample rate instead of using software-based clock? If so, which pin I should connect the clock to ?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,813 Views)