From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx (Specifically NI 9042) trigger pulse width specifications

Hi Everyone,

We are trying to trigger DAQmx functions using the FPGA on the same cRIO.

The idea, as it stands, is to use a NI 9042 in FPGA mode to export the trigger signal to the NI 9042 that is in Real-Time acquisition mode.

IIRC, there are ways to do this via the backplane or without any external wires, but team lead explicitly desires hardwiring externally like this.

An alternative I might try to pitch is to export via the 9042 into the PFI0 input.

NEVER THE LESS we're trying to capture as high resolution precision as possible... so I need to know more distinctly what is the minimum pulse width I need to generate on the FPGA for the DAQmx trigger function to detect it correctly.

An initial hunch is that the refresh rate will be limited by the real-time operating frequency. (somewhere in the ms range)

The nanosecond resolution is only for allowing us to precisely synchronize the trigger, I don't need to do this repeatedly such that we worry about data handling over multiple clock rates or anything super complicated like that.

From what I have looked up the specs on the NI 9042 say a propagation delay averaging ~20ns, but maxing up to 55ns. Between two of them that'd be ~40ns, 110ns... is that my answer sitting right in front of me (making the pulse width more than 110ns?) or do I have to account for the slow speed at which the real time system cycles?

Say the real-time system is running at 1khz... if a 125ns pulse comes, is it not going to be registered by the DAQmx trigger VI?

Thanks for your time

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(825 Views)

Update for the eventual person who googles this thread with the same issue:

We're probably going to go the FPGA OUT via NI 9042 Digital BNC, then into the PFI0 port on the cRIO.

PFI0 port specifications said around 125ns minimum (with filtering turned on, arguably less with no filtering).

Message 2 of 2
(792 Views)