From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a NPN sensor to a DIO

Solved!
Go to solution

Using a USB 6221 (or any std DAQ w/ DIO's) and want to connect an NPN sensor to activate a vi.  This will be to replace existing mechanical finger switches for ergonomic reasons.  The new sensor is an optical, no-touch switch.

Only vaguely familiar with transistor technology and am not sure how to make the connections.

The device I am trying to use is detailed here:  http://info.bannersalesforce.com/xpedio/groups/public/documents/literature/28436.pdf

It is the OTBVN6 model shown in the upper left of page 2 of this document.

The device requires a minimum of 10vdc so not sure what I need to do to connect it to a DIO.

Thanks for any input

Doug

Doug

"My only wish is that I am capable of learning each and every day until my last breath."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,821 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dacad

Hi Doug,

You can use the attached schematic to connect your device to a digital input. You can use the n.c. or n.o. output.

The resistor will limit the maximum current to 10mA with a 10Vdc power connected to Vcc. If you connect the 5V from your DAQ device to the Vcc connection you can leave out the zenerdiode.

Kees

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,805 Views)

Thanks,

I will give that a try.

I actually did get it to function with a DIO by connecting the NO to 5vdc from the DAQ and the NC to the DIO.  (This after I blew one of the DIO's, I can't help trying things....)  

Not sure why this works bit will set up your option as it is probably a lot safer for the DAQ

Doug

Doug

"My only wish is that I am capable of learning each and every day until my last breath."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,799 Views)