Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Digital outputs on SCB-68A be designated as 16 channels?

Hi

I'd like to allocate 16 channels to digital outputs through NI (SCB-68A) from a desktop program.

but SCB-68A has P0.0 - P0.7 (I know that this means port 0:line 0-7. Is this right?)

I need to allocate 16 channels (or 16 bit? I am not sure) to the same port and 16 different lines.

How can I do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,774 Views)

The SCB-68A is mainly just a terminal block.  There are a variety of available pinout labels for it, depending on the device you're hooking up.  It'll be your actual data acq device that determines how many lines of DIO you have and how they're split into ports.

What data acq device is at the other end of the terminal block?

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,757 Views)

That's PLEXON Omniplex, which is a neural activity recording device.

I need to enter the 16 digital signals and a strobe signal to the Omniplex. but the strobe signal does not have to be the same port.

So, I need 16 digital outputs (line?) of the same port.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,746 Views)

What Kevin meant was, what NI instrument is connected to the SCB-68A accessory?

To make things clear, typically NI's DAQs have digital lines in banks/ports of 8 channels. This accessory SCB-68A just fans them out individual wires from the VHDCI cable into a terminal block so that it is easy for you to wire external equipment.

In your case (I assume),

(Some NI DAQ) -> cable -> SCB68A -> PLEXON Omniplex

Let us know that "some NI DAQ" because there are many features that are model specific.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,743 Views)

Okay. What you guys asked me was probably 'PCIe6353', right?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,715 Views)

Yes, that was the important piece of information that you missed sharing.

Going by spec sheet - Port0 has 32 channels, Port1 has 8 channels and Port2 has 8 channels.

santo_13_0-1628817836094.png

Next, to answer your question of 16 channels together in a single port,

• You can use Port0 since it has 32 channels together

SCB68A is an accessory common to multiple DAQ models and the terminal names will differ based on the actual pinout on the instrument side. To know the terminal mapping to the port channels you would need to refer this document 

santo_13_1-1628818017683.png

Next, your question might be, I don't see the Port0 channels more than 7 in this image, this is because this pinout is for Connector 0 only - P0.8 to P0.31 are on Connector1

santo_13_3-1628818146223.png

This means you need to have use SCB68A with connector1 to get a continuous 16 channels from Port0, below image shows the terminal labels if the accessory is connected to Conn1 of 6353

santo_13_4-1628818289245.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 6 of 6
(1,710 Views)