Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calibration of a digital module?

Hi,

I was looking at calibration procedures for a couple of NI boards, among which a few are digital. For those I haven't found any calibration procedure. Is it because I should consider the digital modules don't need calibration?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,721 Views)

Static DIO do not need calibration.  Hardware Timed DIO should probably have its on board clock calibrated.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,702 Views)

I am afraid I have to respectfully disagree with crossrulz here, There might be times when you need to calibrate static digital I/O, however it comes down to exactly what you are trying to accomplish. It may be the case that there are some characteristics that are critical to your application, such as timing skew between channels, output rise time, etc. In that case it would be worthwhile to test for those parameters.

I would strongly recommend having some method of functional check, to make sure that the digital I/O is still doing what you want. I.E. digital inputs are actually read by the card on every input line, and the card generates outputs on each output line. Obviously you need to test each line separately, so you can detect inputs shorted together etc. Unless you design this into your hardware at an early stage, it may be difficult to accomplish in the absence of whatever your system is connected to, or in a reasonable time if there is a large number of I/O lines. "Record of Functional check of I/O lines" might be what an auditor would want to see.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,661 Views)

Okay thanks guys!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,658 Views)

Be cautious.  Many of the DIO cards are not running in a real-time environment and will therefore not be able to checked for any particular timing as Windows will control the time slicing.  You can still verify simple things with DIO cards.

1. Vin (DI) - connect to a metered supply to read inputs to verify (Vil & Vih)
  2. Vout (Dout) - connect a meter and toggle the settings to determine (Vol & Voh)

Some boards may require some external circuitry for test (I.E. Open collector outputs)

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,637 Views)