From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable shielding connected at both ends?

Hello, I would like to know if the shielding of the cable I'm interested in is connected to both ends of the cable or just one. I am looking to purchase the SHC68-68-RDIO cable. I have found the pinouts here. I want to avoid creating a ground loop.

That's all! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(852 Views)

You will not create a ground loop if you do proper grounding....

Remember that there is a difference between grounding and earthing. Usually the shield of a cable is connected to the device housing via the connector shells. The device housings should not be connected to any supply or signal ground. This implies that you should NOT use a cable shield for supply or signal ground connections between devices, you should always use separate lines for these. 

If your device does not have metal housing connected to earth, you should connect the metal shell of the connectors in your devices at one single point to the supply ground. 

Anyhow, in some cases, you have to try out different grounding/earthing schemes for optimizing signal quality. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(778 Views)