From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9403 output current, 2mA if all output

What circuit am I supposed to be able to drive with a 9403 DIO card in an automated system if the maximum current I can source on a channel is 2 mA if all my channels are outputs?

The whole card can only output 64 mA total, so even if I only have 4 or 5 DO we're getting to the current level that won't drive many logic circuits in the systems I am used to working with.

I tried looking at possibly using reed relays and optoisolators to allow the low current output from the 9403 to turn on a higher current source, but 2 mA won't even drive the optos or reed relays I could find.

A little help would be appreciated.
Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,753 Views)

Well I found a commercial relay driver that would only require 1.95 mA to switch on a relay, takes 5V TTL inputs, 2 channels of control, 2 relays driven.

Coil Voltages for the output available in 5, 12, 24 V to drive the coil of your selected relay of choice.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,752 Views)

Hello Ryan,

I am glad to see that you have found an answer to your question.  Please let me know if the solution you have found is still unacceptable and I will do my best to help you find a more acceptable solution (either through a different cDAQ module, or a different relay driver). 

Regards,
Browning G
FlexRIO R&D
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,733 Views)
Thanks for the offer of help.

No other cDAQ module will work as far as I can tell to get the channel count in the cRIO system.
Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,727 Views)

Hi Rvallieu,

I am facing the same issue with the NI9403.

Could you share the brand and type of these relay's?

It would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,352 Views)