Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9401 driving a SSR

Solved!
Go to solution

Is a 9401 module capable of driving a small (5amp) SSR with a 4-15 volt input?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,348 Views)

Technically yes, since the NI 9401 can ouput 5 V, but that is not what it is meant to be used for.  You're better off buying a cheap power supply (like 10 dollars) then just making a circuit that controls that power supply with the NI 9401.

What is your application and why are you looking into the NI 9401?  NI offers help with specing out systems.                        

1 (800) 531-5066

-Bear

Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,323 Views)

Well, basically I'm trying to repurpose an existing test rig and I've no choice but to use the hardware on hand. It was to be used to turn a motor on and off. I think I've answered my own question because I found the input on the relay draws 15ma and I don't think the 9401 will output that.  I wanted to do it cheap 'n dirty but now I'm thinking I'll have to use a BLDC motor and using the 9401 to generate a PWM signal to the controller. A tad more complicated but doable.

Thanks for the input

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,314 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GDthomas

You should consider using a buffer chip that can output the current you need, like this one.  This will require a 5V power supply, but it does the job.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,308 Views)

Acually the more I thought about it the more advantages I could see to switching to a BLDC motor mostly being able to control the speed. I'll have to see what happens. If it doesn't work out I'll definetly look into the buffer chip.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,302 Views)