From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6551 sample clock exporting to PXI_STAR

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

The help files for the 655x (Devices -> NI 655x ->  Hardware Architecture -> Signal Routing) has a table that shows the 6551 internal sample clock as a source and the PXI_STAR as a destination. I have tried to set this up but it comes back with a runtime error stating that the hardware does not have this capability. I have the 6551 in slot 2 of the PXI rack. Am I misunderstanding the routing table in the help file.

Part of the code......................

//configure internal generator clock to be 2 Meg
    ErrChk(niHSDIO_ConfigureSampleClock(*viGen[out_card_number], NIHSDIO_VAL_ON_BOARD_CLOCK_STR, 2.0e6));
    //export sample clock on the co-ax clock out signal
    ErrChk(niHSDIO_ExportSignal (*viGen[out_card_number], NIHSDIO_VAL_SAMPLE_CLOCK, VI_NULL, NIHSDIO_VAL_PXI_STAR_STR));
    //do a commit to start the output clock
    ErrChk(niHSDIO_CommitDynamic(*viGen[out_card_number]));

Thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,002 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Diagnosys_1

Hello Andrew,

The documentation is actually incorrect.  Only certain devices can actually drive the PXI_STAR line as a destination and the 655x devices cannot.  This was a mistake in our documentation and has been reported to R&D under ID #166056.  I believe the following devices can drive the PXI_Star line from slot two:

• PXI-4461
  • PXI-4462
  • PXI-4472
  • PXI-4472b
  • PXI-4474
  • PXI-5112
  • PXI-7344
  • PXI-665x
  • PXI-6682

Please let me know if you would like to use one of these devices and we can have someone from their product group verify that they will be able to drive the PXI_Star line.

Regards,
Paul C.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,955 Views)

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply.

At this time I do not need any more information on cards that can drive the PXI_STAR line.

Over the last year we have purchased 42 of the 6551 cards and I am experimenting with them to find out exactly what they can do. For now this is all the information I need.

Regards

Andrew Quick
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,934 Views)

Hello Andrew,

Just thought I would add some articles that I found pretty great for learning about the features of our High Speed Digital I/O devices.  One article is about some of the advanced features and can be found here.  In addition, the product support page for the PXI-6551 has some other great links here.  In addition, we have some great reference libraries now available for JTAG and I2C.  They are available here and here respectfully. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Paul C.

Message Edited by Paul C. on 05-12-2009 04:45 PM
Message 4 of 4
(3,923 Views)