From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6509 Change Detection Events

I have configured a 6509 Digital I/O card for change detection events on a line and it seems to work ok. Is there a way to unregister change detection events and return the input channel to normal operation? I try to unregister the event by using a NULL callback pointer but the next digital read is met with a timeout problem. In simplest terms, I want to be able to configure change detection events for the duration of a test and then revert to the previous mode of operation when the test is done. This is a TestStand/LabWindows based test fixture. There are a couple of test steps in the tester where I want to detect events. The rest of the time, I want to perform simple digital I/O.
Thanks,
John

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,300 Views)

Hello jlgeek,

I have found documentation that explains how to unregister a NI-DAQmx Software Event.  You can find it here.  This article explains that you should pass a NULL value for the event callback function pointer.  This seems to be what you have done, however you cannot unregister (or register) an event while a task is running.  You must stop the task and then unregister your event.

I hope this clarifies things,

Jesse O.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments

Jesse O. | National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,287 Views)
Hi Jesse,
Thanks for your input. I am stopping and starting correctly. I think that I've solved my own problem after much digging through the references. It appears that when change detection is configured, the sample timing type is set to DAQmx_Val_ChangeDetection and when normal sampling is to resume, the sample timing must be reset. In my case, the default timing was set to DAQmx_Val_OnDemand (obtained by DAQmxGetSampTimingType). Once I set it back via the DAQmxResetSampTimingType, things seemed to be ok. It is unfortunate that in the manuals, there isn't much information other than a simple statement of purpose and a function prototype. There should be at least a page of information on how the change detection works and what it changes under the hood so that you can change it back when you are done.

John

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,285 Views)