From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6361 counter output not working

I'm trying to generate a 0-5V PWM signal from the PXI6361 using the Counter Output pins but it doesn't seem to be generating anything. I've measured the otuput using both a multimeter and an o-scope and both are reading 0 volts - even when I turn the output frequency to extremely low. 
Right now I have my wires connected to the pins PFI12 and ground. I have also tested PFIs 13 and 14 and none of them work either. However the digital and analog output ports on the PXI are working just fine. NI-MAX has also verified that I am communicating with the device successfully. 

Any insight on why this isn't working would be really helpful. Do I need to wire the +5V on the 6361 as well? 

List of devices I am using:

1. NI PXIe-1072 chassis
2. NI-PXIe-6361 

Thank you! 

- A very sad intern who swears she's not insane

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,155 Views)

What code are you using to generate the PWM signal?

Are you just using test panels in MAX, a LabVIEW example, or something else?

-Jim B
Applications Engineer, National Instruments
CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,104 Views)

I am running this through NI MAX for now.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,086 Views)

No, you don't need to have the 5V connected, but I can't think of why the PFI line would work as a digital I/O, but not as a counter output.

You could try opening a counter example in LabVIEW and see if that gives any better results.  For instance, "Counter - Continuous Output.vi" is probably a good example for this application.

-Jim B
Applications Engineer, National Instruments
CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,068 Views)