Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6025E connector upgrade path

Solved!
Go to solution

We have been using 6025 PCI card for many years but it has since gone end-of-life.  The product page recommends NI PCIe-6321 X Series board. My question is if there is an upgrade path for the 68 pin connector. We have a custom manufactured I/O panel that interfaces with the 100 pin connector that ideally we would like to continue using for a new card.

TIA.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,734 Views)

The normal cable used for an X-series board like the 6321 is listed as "SHC68-68-EPM Shielded Cable, 68-D-Type to 68 VHDCI".   The connector at the DAQ device end has changed to VHDCI, but the *other* end is the D-Type style that's been in common use for NI DAQ devices for a very very long time.

Are you using a cable with 68 pin D-Type connectors at both ends now?  Then you probably just need the new cable I linked above.  Note: *Do* be sure to verify pin-to-pin compatibility for any signals that the external IO panel uses.  There's a good chance it'll all match up, but you better verify to be sure.  Generally all the base common IO pins match up, but there can be specialty devices where extra DIO or AI channels *can't* match up.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,718 Views)

The 6025 has a 100 pin connector.  Is there a card that has the same 100 pin layout?  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,710 Views)

Gotcha.  The original message mentioned a 68-pin connector and I made a wrong assumption that your board was a common 68-pin type. 

Now however, I'm inclined to suppose that since you mentioned a 68-pin connector, you're probably using the SH1006868 cable shown on this page of recommended cables.   Are you using both 68-pin branches?  If so, I simply don't know whether there's an exact pin-compatible replacement across both branches.  But if you're only using the "main" branch (the one called the MIO-16 Connector, not the Extended I/O Connector), then this page of cable pinouts matches up pretty well with the 6321 pinouts.  

You might want to call in to NI directly to confirm the best migration path.  It's likely to depend on which signals & pins on your test system are in active use.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,707 Views)

Sorry I should have been more explicit in my first posting. We are currently using the 6025 card which has 100 pin connector.  That card has gone end of life and the recommended replacement card (6321) looks to only have a 68-pin connector.  I was wondering what is the right path forward...Does this mean NI is abandoning the 100-pin connector?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,703 Views)

Short answer: I don't know about NI and 100-pin connectors on DAQ boards.  You can search products here and/or call them directly for better info.

I'm still a bit confused in that I keep thinking the # pins at the DAQ device end shouldn't need to be such a concern.  It seems that what ought to matter is the connector(s) and signal-pin mapping at the *other* end of the cable.  (You previously mentioned a custom I/O panel that interfaces with a 68-pin connector).

Anyhow, I did just a brief look at the X-series product family.  Have a look at the PCIe-6323.  It breaks out its I/O into two connectors that map the signals in a way that seems pretty similar to the way the SH1006868 (which I keep supposing you're using to connect between your 6025 and some kind of 68-pin custom I/O panel) splits them up on your 6025 board.  Again, you'd need to compare them in detail to be sure.

-Kevin P

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,699 Views)

Sorry I made a typo in my original posting: Should have stated: We have a custom manufactured I/O panel that interfaces with the 100 pin connector.

My issue is how to move forward with new cards that seemingly only support 68-pin style connector when everything we have worked with for last 15+ years is with the 100-pin connector.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,694 Views)

I should bow out here as I've never used any 100-pin devices or accessories and have no particular knowledge or insight.  My familiarity is with multiple generations of 68-pin DAQ devices and accessories supporting less onboard I/O.

- Kevin P

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,684 Views)

Thanks for your willingness to be of help! Sorry I misrepresented the actual issue in my first posting (wishing there was an 'edit' button)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,682 Views)
Solution
Accepted by esjensen

After talking with sales they led me to the SH1006868 cable. http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/11805

I also stumbled across this posting with a link of the cable breakdown https://forums.ni.com/t5/PXI/SH1006868-cable-How-does-the-100-pin-plug-map-out-to-the-two-68/td-p/25...

This will require using two cards with each of the 68-pin connections.  Either stick with a PCI slot 6221 or move to PCI-e 6320.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,632 Views)