From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24 bit sampling with standard soundcard?

Hello

I am trying  to get my soundcard to sample with a resolution of 24 bit, but I can only get Labview to work properly with 16 bits. I don't get an error message when I try to sample with 24 bits, but the signal to noise ratio gets drops significantly compared to 16 bits.
I'm using Labview 8.0 and my soundcard is a "Creative Audigy 2 USB", which should be able to sample with 24 bits. Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

Regards
Jacob  
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,990 Views)

Hi Jacob,

Try to run Finite Sound Input.vi from Labview example finder and make sure that you can acquire at 24bits signal without error(32bits and 64bits will give you a hardware error?), then you can try to update your soundcard driver. Run the attached .vi to finde the current soundcard driver.

Labview 8.0 does support 24bits and you shouldn't see a drop on the S/N ratio when you go from 16- to 24bits resolution(But don't expect a huge increase either). Can you tell me what kind of signal you are trying to sample, samle rate and how do your measure the S/N ratio?

Regards

-----------------------------------------------------
Dennis Morini
District Sales Manager
National Instruments Denmark
http://www.ni.com/ask
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,979 Views)