From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Developer Center Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software binding activation problem

Hello

I am triying to license a toolkit usingTPLA. It works fine when I use hardware binding (in LFEdit) combined with the trigger code 28 in the Solo server (using EZ Trigger). If I try to use software binding I cannot activate the toolkit. I get the activation succeded message, the number of left activations on Solo Server decreases, but the toolkint does not activate (I tried with trigger code 28, 18)

Can anybody give me a hint ?

Thanks

Cristian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,357 Views)

Hello Cristian,

It's very likely a permissions issue.  Software binding requires LabVIEW to write to certain registry locations and protected areas on disk.  Doing so requires administrative rights on the computer.  Typically your installer should call RegisterAddon.exe during installation which will request administrative access and then initialize these registry locations.  If you did not call RegisterAddon during the install process, you can either do so after the fact, or simply run LabVIEW with administrative rights before you activate the toolkit. 

The above only is a problem on OSes that have UAC enabled (Windows Vista, 7, 8).  For Windows XP computers there is a semi-common problem which is a result of out of date certificates.  This can be resolved by updating your computer with the latest Windows Updates which installs the correct certificates.

Hope this helps,
David

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,249 Views)

Were you using VIPM for the install process?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,249 Views)

Hello David

Thank you for the answer. It works perfectly now. Actually I had a vi that was supposed to launch RegisterAddon.exe, but there was a mistake the way I was calling the System Exec.vi.

It looks like if you pass something like "cmd /c RegisterAddon.exe -- -s -l etc... " instead of "RegisterAddon.exe -- -s -l etc... "  to the System Exec.vi it does not work even if the CallRegisterAddon.exe is in the same directory as RegisterAddon, the cmd /c command changes the working directory.

@Michael

No, I am not using VIPM.

Cristian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,249 Views)

Glad to hear it's now working!

CristianV wrote:

It looks like if you pass something like "cmd /c RegisterAddon.exe -- -s -l etc... " instead of "RegisterAddon.exe -- -s -l etc... "  to the System Exec.vi it does not work even if the CallRegisterAddon.exe is in the same directory as RegisterAddon, the cmd /c command changes the working directory.

This is good to know, thanks for the follow-up.  I'll definitely keep this in mind for the future.

David

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,249 Views)