DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scripting errors with auto-populating folders

Solved!
Go to solution

When I create a new module in a location that's already contained inside the project as (sub)directory of an auto-populate folder that resides directly under "My Computer", the creation of the tester VI fails with error code 56002 (item already exists at path).

net-rx_error.png

The scripting process manages to create a new virtual folder directly under "My Computer", but fails to populate it.

net-rx_project.png

Regards,

Joerg

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,657 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author joerg.hampel

Joerg,

Don't use auto populating folders! ... just kidding ;). We had not stumbled upon this issue, because we do not use auto populating folders. The reason we don't use them is that libraries take precedence over auto populating folders, if all the DQMH modules are already organized in libraries, the auto populating folders are redundant. 

I do use auto populating folders when I am cleaning up a project. I create a new project and add as auto populating folders the contents of my project folder. Anything that is not part of a project library will be shown as "orphan" within a folder, I can then evaluate if this VI was removed from the library and we forgot to delete it or if it was added to the code and we forgot to add it to the library. That is pretty much the only time I use auto populating folders. 

That said, we understand not everyone is going to work like us and you might have other valid reasons for using auto populating folders. I have filed a case for us to look into this and addressing it for the next release. In the meantime, the workaround (albeit not optimal) would be to temporarily disable auto populating folder for the folder you are going to add a DQMH Module to. 

We will keep you posted of when this issue is addressed.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,632 Views)

Although we do not recommend using auto-populating folders. This issue has been fixed in DQMH 4.0 Beta available at delacor.com/announcing-dqmh-4-0-beta/

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,214 Views)