From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Module broadcasts registered but events never arrive

Solved!
Go to solution

HI everyone,

I'm developing mi first DQMH-based application and I have to say I really like it, although I feel there are still dark corners where I'm missing something on how to properly use it.

One of these points is the following. I have a total of four modules, a Main UI, two instrument control modules (called MAB and FAST-PS), and a Logging module. The Main UI module starts all the other three modules at startup, like this:

Screenshot 2017-09-29 09.20.35.png

Then, the other modules need to listen to the Main UI broadcasts and to each other's broadcasts. In particular, I want the Logging module to listen to the Main UI and the MAB module broadcasts. This is how I do it in the Log module:

Screenshot 2017-09-29 09.49.25.png

and I can correctly see the events in the available event list. But here comes my problem: in this Log module, while I can catch the events from the Main UI module, the events from the MAB module are systematically missed; more precisely, they never arrive at the event structure albeit they are actually fired by the MAB module (I can see it in the Event Inspector Window).

I've read the DQMH Best Practices document and I feel that the point I'm missing is this one:

If a module registers for the broadcasts from other modules, you need to be careful about calling “Obtain Request Events for Registration.vi”, because if the module is not already running, this VI just determines the broadcast datatype. You should consider creating a private request to register for the events if the module launches later.

but I cannot figure out how to create this private request, because I don't know how I can register to other events in run-time from inside the event structure itself (if this is what I have to do)...

Can someone please show me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Carlo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,249 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author carlod80

Thanks to this post I was able to solve the problem, like this:

Capture.PNG

Thank you!

Carlo

Message 2 of 4
(4,216 Views)

Congratulations. You interpreted the Best Practices text correctly.

Glad you were able to figure it out, let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Thanks,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,186 Views)

Thanks Fab!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,957 Views)