DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dqmh module registered to its own broadcasts

Solved!
Go to solution

Thank you very much for your input. These forums is exactly how I've learnt labview. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 24
(971 Views)

You've got a desire to do things the right way and a willingness to learn.  That will take you very far.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 24
(968 Views)

Hi Rafal_Kor,

Seems like Sam has helped you clarify the private request concept. Feel free to start new discussion threads with other questions that you might have. As you can see, there are others around here to help (and I am profoundly grateful for that). 

One more thing that I wanted to clarify regarding the enqueue vs sending a request to itself. In general, we recommend keeping the actions within an MHL case atomic. Avoid enqueing multiple cases, especially if your code cannot afford for anything to happen in between those cases. This is one of the reasons in DQMH 4.0 we got rid of the "Update Display" case, we were encouraging a bad practice. Something can get enqueued in between the MHL case acting on the data and the "Update Display" case.

If the contents of one case could be used in other cases, make that a subVI and call the subVI in the other cases as opposed to enqueing it. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 24
(963 Views)

there might be cases where it makes sense for a module to listen to its own broadcast events (I can't think of one at the moment)

I am very new to DQMH, so I may be way off base, but what about this scenario -

I have a module where the front panel is shown to the user and therefore I want the module status indicator on the front panel to update each time I call Status Updated.vi.

Rather than update the module's status indicator with a local variable alongside each call to Status Updated.vi, or using bundle by name to update the status in the MHL Data cluster and then passing that new value to the front panel control somehow, I could update the module's status indicator by listening for the Status Updated broadcast and updating the indicator in the EHL with an event case named <My Module Broadcast Events.Status Updated>: User Event.

Thoughts? 

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 24
(463 Views)