From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DQMH Module Did Init broadcast event.

Solved!
Go to solution

I think I understand the intent for Module Did Init broadcast event. My question is about its argument. It is a Boolean set to True by the framework. Can I assume that because that argument is there, exposed to me, I can do with it as I see fit for my module.

In the initialize case of my module I perform some initialization task, in addition to what is required by the framework. Specifically I load some *.ini files needed for my module to operate. Because these are human editable *.ini files, there may be errors in them, in which case I wouldn't want the module to start. I think I would like my module to abort its launch. I'm thinking of setting the Module Did Init broadcast argument to FALSE. I can also set the error flag to execute through the error case, and inform the calling module that there was an initialization error in the module being called, and perhaps to try again. Is my thinking correct? Would this be the intended use for the argument of the Module Did Init broadcast event?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,251 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rafal_Kor

Hey,

I remember discusding something similar recently. You might want to take a look at this thread, perhaps it has some more food for thought...

Pls excuse my brevity, I’m writing this on my phone. 

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

Message 2 of 5
(4,242 Views)

oh... now I see, thank you for the link.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,220 Views)

... perhaps then removing the argument from the Module Did Init broadcast event might prevent people from asking what I've asked about, and as it turns out I wasn't the only one. thank you for the suggested thread.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,216 Views)

@Rafal_Kor wrote:

... perhaps then removing the argument from the Module Did Init broadcast event might prevent people from asking what I've asked about, and as it turns out I wasn't the only one. thank you for the suggested thread.

Hi Rafal_Kor,

We will take your suggestion of removing the argument into consideration. As you saw in the thread we have both approaches at Delacor, some initialize things in the initialize MHL case, some don't. Also, once the module is created, that code belongs in your project, feel free to modify the broadcast and remove the argument if you don't plan to use it. On the same token, you could open that typedef and add an error argument if you decided to go the route of initializing things in your initialize MHL case. If you would like all of your DQMH modules to have the same arguments for your Did Init broadcast, you can create your own DQMH template and create DQMH modules from there.

Instructions on how to create your own DQMH module template are here http://bit.ly/AddDQMHTemplate

Regards,

Fab

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,212 Views)