DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining the functionality of all 3 event types of DQMH

Hello,

I am developing test systems with LabVIEW and TestStand for manuell and automated testing. With LabVIEW I use DQMH for parallel execution of different hardware components and with TestStand I need to execute the VIs in a sequentiell order. So in TestStand I use the "Request & Wait for Reply" Events to achieve the sequentiell execution. This is for automated testing. For manuell tests I will create a Manuell Controller Module, but here it is not necessary to wait for every VI to finish execution. So I need a normal "Request" event.

Because of this, I have to implement a "Request & Wait for Reply" and a "Request" event in the DQMH module and both events are triggering the same function/VI of the hardware component. I don't like this, because this leads to redundant code.

Also I want to use the Manuel Controller Module as sniffer when TestStand executes automated tests. So i need an Broadcast Event as well.

To solve this Problem i need an DQMH Event, which combines all 3 functionalities.

I got an approach to realize this:

I created a "Request & Wait for Reply" Event with a bool variable as additional Input Parameter to distinguish between "Wait for finishing" or "Don't wait for finishing". So if the the bool is set to TRUE, the Hardware function is triggered and the notifier is fired after the execution of this function. If the bool is set to FALSE, the notifier is fired immediately and the caller VI is not blocked (in my case the caller VI is my Manuell Controller Module). Finally a Broadcast Event will be fired after the execution with an output Parameter.

I added two pictures of the MHL of one DQMH module, which is for triggering Hardware functions/VIs. In my example the "Massive Work"-VI is called to simulate a function, which takes a lot of time.

Wait for finishing with Request & Wait for Reply functionalityWait for finishing with Request & Wait for Reply functionalityDon't wait for finishing with normal Request functionalityDon't wait for finishing with normal Request functionality.

Has anybody some experience of doing something like this? Is this an good approach to solve this problem or will it lead to unpredictable errors?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Barney

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,379 Views)

Hi Barney,

I have seen similar approaches, specially when working on TestStand projects. Your solution is a good one. Alternatively, the Request and Wait for Reply VI itself could include a case structure to not wait for the notifier, that way you would not need to fire the notifier at all in the DQMH Main MHL case. 

We keep track of feature requests here: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Delacor-Toolkits-Documents/DQMH-Feature-Requests/ta-p/3537845

Feel free to add this feature request there and link to this discussion for more details. 

We are finishing up some details to release DQMH 4.0, so it will not make it for the next version, but we can evaluate adding it in future versions.

Thanks for sharing your solution with us and for your trust in DQMH.

Best regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,331 Views)

Hi Barney,

[Edit] If you don't mind, please edit your post in the Feature Requests document as implemented in DQMH 4.1. Thanks!

We have implemented your feature request as part of DQMH 4.1. We modified the Round Trip Event creation to create a Request and Wait for Reply (that has a "wait" input) and a Broadcast. Where the request reply and the broadcast use the same argument. 

We are submitting it to the LabVIEW Tools Network, if you want to take a peek, you can download the release candidate at 

https://delacor.com/no-access/download-id/2169/

You will need to be registered at delacor.com. You can register at https://delacor.com/membership-join/membership-registration/ 

You can also wait until it shows up in VIPM in the following weeks. 

The documentation for 4.1 is at https://delacor.com/documentation/dqmh-html/DQMHDocumentation.html

and the release notes are at 

https://delacor.com/dqmh-documentation/dqmh-4-1-release-notes/

Let us know how you like it and if you have any questions or comments.

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Message 3 of 6
(4,949 Views)

Hello Fab,

thanks for implementing this very useful feature. In the release notes you write:

"1.Added new tool to convert "Request" Events to "Request and Wait for Reply" Events."

Can this be extended so that a conversion into "Round Trip" is also possible? That would take a lot of click work off our hands.

I would be happy to write you a Feature request.

Regards,

Nils

Message 4 of 6
(4,911 Views)

@nilsdornblut wrote:

Hello Fab,

thanks for implementing this very useful feature. In the release notes you write:

"1.Added new tool to convert "Request" Events to "Request and Wait for Reply" Events."

Can this be extended so that a conversion into "Round Trip" is also possible? That would take a lot of click work off our hands.

I would be happy to write you a Feature request.

Regards,

Nils

Nils,

Glad you liked it. Yes, please add the feature request. 

Regards,

Fab

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,902 Views)

@FabiolaDelaCueva wrote:

Glad you liked it. Yes, please add the feature request. 

Done

Message 6 of 6
(4,893 Views)