From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadcasting with DQMH Generic Networking Module

Hi everybody,

for a new project I want to use the DQMH Framework to talk over the Network. After some Research I found the DQMH Generic Networking Module from Joerg Hampel. At first, thanks to Joerg Hampel for sharing your great work!!!

In my project I will use these module to communicate between a PXI System and a PC.

At the moment, it is planned to control the PXI System via TestStand and/or a manual control panel. I want to create test sequences with TestStand for automated testing and the manual control panel can be used for manual testing or as sniffer. But I also know, that TestStand and the manual control panel (implemented with LabVIEW) have to be in the same application instance. 

For other projects we start the control panel over TestStand to achieve the sniffer functionality. My goal is to develop a testing system with TestStand and the manual control panel as stand-alone application. So I got two application instances. This is, as I mentioned before, not possible with the normal DQMH. But with the Generic Networking Module I could achieve this, if the GenNet Module has broadcast functionalities.

In that case, I would import the same GenNet Module in TestStand and in the control panel and let it run in the client mode. On the PXI System I also use the same GenNet Module but in server mode. Finally I have all request in all application instances available. For example, if I call a GenNet-request from TestStand, the MHL in the PXI System will be triggered over the network. After the execution in the GenNet module, the response will be returned/broadcasted to all connected clients. So TestStand and the control panel will receive the response. 

So here my questions:

Is it already possible to send broadcasts with the DQMH Generic Networking Module?

If not, is it planned to add broadcast functionality to the DQMH Generic Networking Module? 

Could I solve this problem in another way, but also with GenNet Modules?

Thanks in Advance.

Best regards,

Flo B.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,779 Views)

Disclaimer: Obviously, there are tons of ways to implement what you're looking for without using the Generic Networking modules. 

At the moment, you could have two GenNet modules, one for each "direction". That's like having two unidirectional point-to-point connections - not pretty, but technically, it would work.

We've been talking about implementing DQMH broadcasts via UDP to the Generic Networking modules. That's definitely on our to-do list. I don't even think that it's much work, I just never got around to do it.

Flo, please contact me directly so we can talk about how to get your application working.

PS: Here's a link to a blog post about Generic Networking Modules on the Delacor website.

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,774 Views)