Data Acquisition Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JÞB

One more DAQmx feature?

At the new client.. no shock to many of you I "Get around"

I explained to some of my new compadres the DAQmx "Tasks" need to be created once.... Preferably during development!

I even created a new task in MAX using the DAQmx wizard, Dragged it to the LabVIEW project explorer and all of that!

I even went so far as to name the "AUX" temperature channel "armpit"- Trust me, after 5 minutes delivering a .lvproj based on the "Contineous measuement and logging (DAQmx) project template" it was impressive to the client that the plot "armpit" showed 37C on the chart.  Guess where the thermocouple was.

So, Because I am that amazing, I showed them that they could Drag-n-Drop the Task to MAX and use MAX to monitor my armpit temperature.  I even showed them that MAX could show them the wiring diagram!

"HOLD IT"! they said, The wiring diagram is right there! On SCREEN! per channel! 

That is where I just about lost my mind!  They wanted to see this connection diagram for another Channel--- that worked! BUT there was no way to output that wonderful data!

"Can I create a Wiring Diagram for this channel, device or task?" were the next words out of their mouths.  I WAS STUNNED!  "Not today" I said, "I'll post that excellent idea!"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
4 Comments
kosist90
Active Participant

What is excellent here? To show wiring diagram? Where? On the front panel? Why it is a problem to create image of wiring scheme, and put it on the FP? Have you heard about SCADA systems and interfaces? All connections are already shown on the front panel, and user clearly see all connections in the system. And what if you'll have really a lot of sensors, for example? How wiring diagram will look like?

And second - usually, tasks are better to create not via MAX, but via DAQmx functions. In this case, you can change channels, and so on. If you create it in MAX, each time - when you want to add channels, or to swap channels, what will you do? Right, create channels in MAX again. But programmatically you can do it easily, without any overhead work.

Sorry, but it doesn't seem cool feature...

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Wow.  That's a pretty negative and unconstructive comment coming from someone who has only been on the forums for a little over a month and only 4 posts to their name.

JÞB
Knight of NI

when you want to add channels, or to swap channels, what will you do? Right, create channels Edit Tasks in MAX.

Yes, and then update the system documentation reflecting the change with a Right Click.  I won't even need to redeploy my applocation!  How easy was thatSmiley Surprised

Why it is a problem to create image of wiring scheme, and put it on the FP? 

Now we are redeploying Code for documentation changes too! Ughh! No, I do'n like that-  much better to pull up the dynamiacly updated HTML page by name from the help menu.  You do things the hard way my friend!

P.S. The feature has been partially roll-ed out and works for some diagrams.

Capture.PNG

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
kosist90
Active Participant

I see now, thanks for the explanation. Maybe my post seemed rude, or something - so I really very, very apologize for that style. Honestly.