From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Data Acquisition Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
LeifS

Let FlexLogger use Global Virtual Channels

I miss the possibility to select Global Virtual Channels defined in MAX into my Flexlogger project.

It is a lot faster to setup a measurement project for systems that don't change the connected sensors so often. 

Please add support for this.

3 Comments
Tommy_G

Hi LeifS,

Thanks for submitting the idea to the exchange. This is a great suggestion. Out of curiosity, do you always create a new FlexLogger project for a new test or do you reuse FlexLogger projects that you have previously saved? Also in regards to the idea, where would you envision this importing feature live? Within the FlexLogger project settings, within a module or channel configuration window, or else where? Also, what all information from the Global Virtual Channel would be important for you to transfer over to the FlexLogger channel configuration?

Thanks,
Tommy

Tommy G.
Product Manager - Search
LeifS

I think it would be useful both for new blank projects and also to open an existing  Flexlogger project to replace and add channels with the possibility to specify Global Virtual channels.

Today I think that its too cumbersome for an ordinary user to reuse a Flexlogger Project, but thats another story.

I think that the best place for the Global Channel "import" is in the Channel Specification View, where there could be an expandable section below all modules for Global Virtual channels.

This way the user don't have to know on which module an sensor is connected, to start measuring. Only choose to include the Virtual channel in the measurement and then start.

Of course it would be helpful to drill into (and maybe also change) the Virtual channel definition from within Flexlogger.

Tommy_G

Hi LeifS,

Thank you for the reply with more information about the idea. I am interested to dig more into your feedback about how you believe it is too cumbersome for an ordinary user to reuse a FlexLogger project. If you are willing to discuss this more in-depth feel free to reach out to me directly at tommy.glicker@ni.com as I would like to learn more about the current difficulty you see with this.

Thanks,
Tommy

Tommy G.
Product Manager - Search