Data Acquisition Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeffGrove

Data Acquisition for iPad

Would like to be able to collect a couple channels of analog inputs to the iPad.  This is nice but I need a minimum of 2 analog inputs and I would rather have NI:  http://www.oscium.com/

Response from coorporate:

"We don't currently have anything that would meet the customer's requirement of being able to plug in directly into the iPad for data acquisition.

I don't believe that the iPad supports Silverlight which is a framework developed by Microsoft.  Also, wireless DAQ has to communicate with a host running DAQmx, so the customer would still need a 2nd computer even if using wireless DAQ.

If you want to connect data acquisition hardware (of any form-factor) to a machine running LabVIEW and DAQmx,  then use LabVIEW Web Services to publish the front panel to the web and view/control it from his iPad.

We do have several USB products that will work with Windows-based netbooks that could be an alternative solution if topic is open to a non-Apple platform.  For example, the 5132/5133 are bus-powered digitizers with much higher sample rate, bandwidth, and buffer size compared to the Oscium device.  However, the price is also quite a bit higher."

2 Comments
vitoi
Active Participant

I'm trying to do something similar, which is using an iPad as the user interface for a LabVIEW application. This may work for your application. I've given this idea kudos since I like it, however you may want to look at "http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Support-for-HTML5-and-SVG-in-Web-Publishing-Tool/idi-p..." and give it kudos. (Basically, using a standard web browser as the user-interface front-end for a LabVIEW application.)

sambocetta

@JeffGrove wrote:

Would like to be able to collect a couple channels of analog inputs to the iPad.  This is nice but I need a minimum of 2 analog inputs and I would rather have NI:  http://www.oscium.com/

Response from coorporate:

"We don't currently have anything that would meet the customer's requirement of being able to plug in directly into the iPad for data acquisition.

I don't believe that the iPad supports Silverlight which is a framework developed by Microsoft.  Also, wireless DAQ has to communicate with a host running DAQmx, so the customer would still need a 2nd computer even if using wireless DAQ.

If you want to connect data acquisition hardware (of any form-factor) to a machine running LabVIEW and DAQmx,  then use LabVIEW Web Services to publish the front panel to the web and view/control it from his iPad.

We do have several USB products that will work with Windows-based netbooks that could be an alternative solution if topic is open to a non-Apple platform.  For example, the 5132/5133 are bus-powered digitizers with much higher sample rate, bandwidth, and buffer size compared to the Oscium device.  However, the price is also quite a bit higher."

Do you currently have products that can work well with iphones and macbooks. I've been trying to setup my iphone as a local data aggragator but thus far have to just export the results. I tested another smaller DAQ producer called DAQifi, but had similar issues with their products.