From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DQMH Consortium Toolkits Feature Requests

Labels
Top Authors
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CyGa

Alow creating several events / modules in a row

We think that feature can be implemented for module creation only.

Hi,

Today when I finish creating an event / module, If I want to create a new one I've got to click again on Tools => Delacor => DQMH => Create...

Sometimes, after planning my architecture I'll need to create several modules/events in a row to start building my app.

Going through the menus each time is a pain in such case.

Maybe replacing the OK button by a Create button and a Create and Continue button would help to this (like you can have using Redmine for example).

The Create button would act like the OK button today.

The Create and Continue button would generate the new event / module but without closing the window.

It would simply reset the fields to their defaut values (and reopen a new virgin payload/paramater window in case of creating an event).

This way creating several items in a row would be really faster and easier.

(more details in the ppt attached)

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
7 Comments
Olivier-JOURDAN
Active Participant

Kudo for module creation. Not sure that I'd like it for events. I tend to agree with Fab's way to think about keeping a constant effort to have the tester (and at least a part of the request in the module) working each time you create a new event.

If adding multiple modules in a row doesn't seem to be an issue, adding multiple events could lead to a reduction of development quality.

Olivier Jourdan

Wovalab founder | DQMH Consortium board member | LinkedIn |

Stop writing your LabVIEW code documentation, use Antidoc!
CyGa
Active Participant

Hi Olivier,

I agree with Fabiola but IMO it should be a developer decision to update the API tester one event creation after one event creation.

If the API tester is updated each time after an event creation (so several times in a row), a developer can decide to complete the code for all the created entries in the API tester at once...

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant

Hi Cyril, 

DQMH is much about the code as it is about the philosophy of encouraging good programming practices. I have seen it, people are still struggling to keep the API Tester up to date, if we add too many events at a time... they will say: tomorrow I will update the API Tester...

Tomorrow never arrives

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
CyGa
Active Participant

If they don't update the API tester for 1 event, why would they update for several ? You're right !

But if they update the API tester for 1 event, why wouldn't they do it for several ? 🙂

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
Olivier-JOURDAN
Active Participant
Status changed to: Development Started

We think that feature can be implemented for module creation only.

Olivier Jourdan

Wovalab founder | DQMH Consortium board member | LinkedIn |

Stop writing your LabVIEW code documentation, use Antidoc!
Darren
Proven Zealot

Creating a module takes several seconds (sometimes up to a minute). I don't think it's worth the effort to update this dialog to allow creating multiple modules when the time it takes to relaunch the tool (2 seconds?) is such a small fraction of the time it takes to fill out and execute the dialog.

CyGa
Active Participant

The idea was added at the time Quick Drop and New...Dialog entries was not existing.

It was mainly to avoid going over the DQMH menus again and again.

Also, the other main focus was related to the requests (which was not accepted).

Sometimes I immediately know I need to create several requests / broadcasts to fulfill my needs. And being able to create them one after the other allows me to keep focus on my work.

The best of the best would be to be able to fill all the info to create several modules / events in a row, and when everything is entered, generate them all in 'one' scripting action. This way I would only have to wait once after entering several modules / info creation info.

Or to have the scripting action to happen in the background while I can enter the data requested to create the other events / modules.

CLA, CTA, LV Champion