From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DQMH Consortium Toolkits Feature Requests

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TiTou

Add a sequence diagram logger

It can be hard to follow the flow of messages between DQMH module in a large project.

I find sequence diagrams great to document that, one tool that would rock is something that looks like a UML Sequence Diagram that is updated as messages are being sent. Columns generated the first time a module is started and then the lifelines of the modules are generated and terminated in their column.

Such a tool was created for the AF, so surely the same could be done for the DQMH.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

3 Comments
dwackerbarth

I would also like to see some sort of program flow module that the developer or the user can view during run time that TiTou was commenting on. I created one for a simpler QMH that showed in a spreadsheet form, the events produced by the producing module+case and the events consumed by the consuming module+case. It also showed how many queues are on the stack for each module. This was very useful for troubleshooting the code for new developers inheriting the code. A developer or user could clear the log, press a button and watch program flow. The module also had an option to save this data to an Excel file. Below is a front panel view of the module. 

I'm new to DQMH and would like to say "What a cool tool" and hopefully I'm not missing something.  

dwackerbarth_0-1614880844906.png

FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant

Dwackerbarth, 

Have you tried right-click on an event structure and using the event inspector while the program is running?

Titou, 

This is in my wish list for features for DQMH. We will see if we get there one day.

Thanks,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Olivier-JOURDAN
Active Participant
Status changed to: Development Started

Olivier Jourdan

Wovalab founder | DQMH Consortium board member | LinkedIn |

Stop writing your LabVIEW code documentation, use Antidoc!